Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Has anyone tried to pull the headlights? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maxhawk

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 06 2004 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

TNTITAN wrote:
I agree with Cronus, the Titans headlights are really bright. The blue coated bulbs are a bunch of BS. They put out blue light at the expense of brightness. The light purple tinted ones are much better. IMHO, either get Sylvania Silverstars or dont bother with the upgrade.

I have to agree with you on the blue coated bulbs.  When I ordered the 100W bulbs, I didn't realize that they were going to be blue.  And now having the chance to try them out, I'm going to ditch them for some regular 100W bulbs.

As far as being "bright enough", that's a relative term.  I've gotten used to my car's HID headlights and no halogen incandescent bulb is going to compare.  Would you believe there are actually ballast and bulb kits to upgrade stock HID systems?  My stock HID's have 35W ballasts and 4100K bulbs.  You can upgrade to 50W and up to 6000K bulbs (and now even higher color temps, but I think they're sort of BS like the blue bulbs).  Is there an improvement?  Sure.  Is it worth the $600 price tag?  Depends on how much disposable income you have and whether more light is important to you.

Back to Top View Maxhawk's Profile Search for other posts by Maxhawk

Titanium

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 10 2004 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Titanium

Hey Maxhawk, If you got time go ahead and post a How-To on changing these bulbs out in the forum somewhere. I use PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my 95' GMC and my girl's 03' Altima. There is a considerable difference in the light, it's easier on my eyes. They really brought the clean look out in the Altima too. Down side is there is also a considerable difference in your wallet thickness after buying these things too, but these days that's the price you pay for being different.   Everybody take it easy.

I'm going to get a Titan, one day.

Back to Top View Titanium's Profile Search for other posts by Titanium

EvilPeppard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 21 2004 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote EvilPeppard

Just be careful when you do the upgrade in wattage on your lights.  Before my Titan, I had a 2001 Ranger XLT.  I upgraded the fog lights from 55 watt to 100 watt bulbs.  They ended up generating so much heat, they melted the fog light housing, then blew the bulb.

I somehow conned the dealer into thinking it was the original bulb and they warrantied it, but if they hadn't, I think that housing (without bulb) was like $85 or $95.

I'm sticking to stock bulbs from now on.

JMO

Back to Top View EvilPeppard's Profile Search for other posts by EvilPeppard

titanwild

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 21 2004 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote titanwild

Has anyone used the XD5 Xenon high/low beam replacement bulbs? (Yeah, they're blue.)  Bought a set of these on ebay for $36.95, both high and low sets.

I'll also look forward to the installation 'how to'.  I'm a bit hesitant about ripping off the grill and headlight housings on my new Titan toy. 

Thanks!

curbman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 06 2004 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote curbman

DONT REMOVE THE GRILL, NOR HOUSING, TO REPLACE THE high beam, just reach in and replace without taking anything out. As for the low beam bulb, go under the front fender and loosten the screw that holds the upper guard and presto you have full access to the low beam bulb. I learned this after 2 hrs trying to remove the whole light assembly.

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 07 2004 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

curbman wrote:

DONT REMOVE THE GRILL, NOR HOUSING, TO REPLACE THE high beam, just reach in and replace without taking anything out. As for the low beam bulb, go under the front fender and loosten the screw that holds the upper guard and presto you have full access to the low beam bulb. I learned this after 2 hrs trying to remove the whole light assembly.

I changed my bulbs by using some instructions I d/l from this forum..I did remove the grill and all but one of the screws to the lights to gain access to the light assy, and it wasnt too much trouble. It took me about 45 min, but your method sounds like it might be easier.

IQ9*

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 07 2004 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote IQ9*

Sounds like we have a faster method of getting to the bulbs. I really want a corniea melting high beam. I do get tired of getting brighted I want to show them what a BRIGHT really is

RoadRashTX

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 28 2004 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote RoadRashTX

To replace the low beam, going through the wheel well is the easiest way.  Took me all of 10 minutes to replace both lights.

I used the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs.  They work great and produce a nice white light.

Todd TCE

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 29 2004 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Todd TCE

I get a lot of oncoming 'flashes' at time as well.
Complained about last trip to the dealer.....(that's another story)

On the top of the lamp assembly there is a small hex bolt which may have a torx drive inside it as well. This bolt is used to aim the lamp. They lowererd my aim a bit and I may re work it a bit more if need be given various loads or the trailer.

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 05 2004 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

Well I just replaced the "inexpensive" Xenon blue bulb (bought on Ebay, shipped from Canada) that lasted all of 2 months. While it lasted, I liked the bright, slightly bluish white light the bulb produced. But I'm not interested in having to change them every 2 months... The ad I purchased from promised top quality bulbs. It even warned about other "cheap" brands on Ebay that only lasted 20+ hours, guaranteed this & that, blah blah...well I estimate that one gave me about 20-30 hours of use. I replaced the burned out bulb with a $20 Sylvania Silverstar, and of course it doesn't look the same...It is bright, but looks yellow compared to the Ebay bulb, so I suppose I will change the other Ebay bulb for the Silverstar as well....BTW I removed one screw from the wheel well and went in that way.....much easier than removing the entire grill.    

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version