Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Oil Change Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fishy4tU

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 02 2004 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Fishy4tU

I was reading the manual and it didn't say that much about when you should change your oil/filter. It's comming up for me and so far no stores like Pepboys or autozone has the filters in yet. I want to change to Mobile 1 Synthetic because I heard their the best, but I also don't want to change that often. I usually change ever 3K with regular motor oil. I know a Porsche Cyanne V8 recommends an oil change every 15K with mobile 1, but the Titan ain't a Porsche so I was wondering how often i should change it? Thanks
Back to Top View Fishy4tU's Profile Search for other posts by Fishy4tU

crundell
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 04 2004 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote crundell

My thoughts on the subject are that you should continue using a regular motor oil for the first,,,,,say 3 or 4 oil changes before you switch to a Synthetic.  The engine needs to break in or (wear) before you go with the super slick synthetics such as Mobile One.  I plan to use it as well,,,,once my engine is broken in a bit. For the first few changes, I'd go about 3k miles between when using regular mineral based oils.  I'd go about 4k or 4,500K once I start using Mobile One. 

Any other suggestions out there fellow Titan owners?

Back to Top View crundell's Profile Search for other posts by crundell

Cronus
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2004 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Cronus

I just went in for my first oil change. The odometer read 3,823. I plan on going in every 3,750 miles when using regular oil.

My Titan @ SLLAR.com
Back to Top View Cronus's Profile Search for other posts by Cronus Visit Cronus's Homepage

PJY04

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 21 2004 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote PJY04

I had my oil changed at 3500 and did mobil 1 synthetic... I did around 8 bottles before the stick showed any difference. After I changed the oil and drove around in it, the truck seems like it grew 20hp.

Nissan Titan LE 2x4 Crew Cab
http://www.phillipyang.com
Back to Top View PJY04's Profile Search for other posts by PJY04 Visit PJY04's Homepage

EvilPeppard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 21 2004 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote EvilPeppard

Fishy4tU wrote:
I was reading the manual and it didn't say that much about when you should change your oil/filter. It's comming up for me and so far no stores like Pepboys or autozone has the filters in yet. I want to change to Mobile 1 Synthetic because I heard their the best, but I also don't want to change that often. I usually change ever 3K with regular motor oil. I know a Porsche Cyanne V8 recommends an oil change every 15K with mobile 1, but the Titan ain't a Porsche so I was wondering how often i should change it? Thanks

Oil is cheap engine insurance.  I use the 3 month / 3000 mile, whichever comes first rule.  I also only use dealer oil filters and buy a new drain plug crush ring each time. 

The book says 6 1/2 quarts with oil filter.  I use Valvoline 5/30 all year round.

I did drop the original oil at about 1000 miles just to get the breakin oil out.

I do this for both our Maxima and my Titan.

JMO.

Back to Top View EvilPeppard's Profile Search for other posts by EvilPeppard

TitanZ

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jun 10 2004 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote TitanZ

Just had my first oil change after 3200 miles...1000 miles of it towing a Mits. Montero Sport on a trailer. Watched my mechanic drain oil that was dark, but still clear...no residue. Replaced with 8 qts. Mobil 1 full-synth. Will change it every 10,000.
Back to Top View TitanZ's Profile Search for other posts by TitanZ

Fishy4tU

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jun 10 2004 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Fishy4tU

You guys put in 8 quarts? The manual only says 6 1/2 and I called the dealer up and that's what they said also, I changed mine by myself now and I put in 6 1/2 and it seems to be fine... it's about in the middle in the dip stick. I also had to buy aftermarket filters, at first I bought the fram but I noticed that it was a lot smaller (shorter in length) than the OEM one so I found a Puralator one that was about the same size and poped that one in. When I switch to synthetic after two more oil changes I'll buy the mobile brand. But seriously, using 8 quarts is a little excessive don't you think?
Back to Top View Fishy4tU's Profile Search for other posts by Fishy4tU

earlofcrankcase

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 11 2004 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote earlofcrankcase

8 quarts is normal on a synthetic oil change at a mechanic shop. 6 in yours, 2 in his

StanKromfols

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 29 2004 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote StanKromfols

I change oil every 5 thousand miles and stick with a good brand of oil and filter.  My 91 volvo (driven in Germany at high speed on the autobahns for 6 years) had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it, with no oil loss between changes.  The 95 ford Ranger (4 Liter V-6) I sold when I bought my Titan had just over 135 miles on it, and burned no oil between changes.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I figure good oil and filter every 5,000 miles is a good rule of thumb.

JBWilkins

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jun 30 2004 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote JBWilkins

If you don't follow the recommended....(no matter the type of oil) you will void your warranty.....so if you want to keep the warranty in tact....3750 is the time to change
Back to Top View JBWilkins's Profile Search for other posts by JBWilkins

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version