Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Gas Grade? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
IQ9*

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 08 2004 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote IQ9*

I only have 980 miles on the truck so far and she seems to like 89. 91 just seems to kill the mileage but I'm not yet convinced to go to 87 but man my wallet wants to...badly...very badly.
Back to Top View IQ9*'s Profile Search for other posts by IQ9*

Throttle

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 22 2004 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Throttle

Cajun wrote:

Unless you have found a way to advance the ignition timing and alter the fuel mapping, premium fuel is a waste of money and a reduction in horsepower. The timing curve in the ecu of these trucks is mapped for regular unleaded fuel. When using higher than the recommended octane, the timing is not advanced far enough to get a complete burn of the fuel charge. The lower the octane, the faster the fuel burns. That is the reasoning for advancing,(starting the burn sooner), the timing for premium fuel, it requires more time for a complete burn, so you start the ignition earlier. I have not had the truck long enough to experiment and map the learning ability of the ecu. It could be possible to run premium effeciently, if the ecu can change the ignition mapping and the fuel mapping for the higher octane. If this is possible, it is the first and only vehicle with an ecu capable of altering the parameters that far, no other in the US is capable of this feat, and we have tested quite a few. I guess the moral of all this ranting is to save the extra 4 or 5 bucks per tank and use the recommended fuel grade, until a programmer or any other method of re-mapping the timiing and fuel curves.

DT

Cajun,

That is one of the best explanations of how octane and ignition timing interact that I have ever read.  I mean that sincerely.  However, your statement that no vehicles in the US can alter the ignition advance that drastically is incorrect.  The Maximas from 95 up have that capability.  They have a knock sensor that listens for the pinging sound that accompanies pre-ignition.  The ECU gradually increases the ignition advance until it detects the slightest pinging, then it retards the timing accordingly.  I have proven that this system works.  I have 3 fourth generation Maximas, all 5 speeds.  One was running sluggish, very sluggish.  I read on Maxima.org that it was probably the knock sensor and that you can bypass the it with a 470K resistor, so I did.  It came back to life immediately.  I had always ran 93 octane because I knew about the knock sensor technology, but here was my chance to test it.  I put some 89 octane in after running the tank very low, and took it for a spin.  When I gave it substantial throttle under load I heard the pinging sound from the engine.  I repeated this only twice (to prevent engine damage), and heard it again both times.  I then stopped at a gas station and fueled up with 93.   I added a little octane booster since I had about 4 gallons of 89 already in there.  As soon as I got out and got on it again, it was back to normal, pulling like a freight train with that usual Nissan VQ torque.  I am under the impression that Honda is using a similar system in their high output VTEC engines now.  There are most likely others using it I am not aware of.  A buddy of mine at the local Nissan Dealer who is already modifying his Titan said that they have the same system and can full well take advantage of the better fuel with improved performance and economy.  I have not verified this though.  Anyway, not trying to be a mister know-it-all, just sharing my personal experience.  

Throttle

Back to Top View Throttle's Profile Search for other posts by Throttle

IQ9*

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 22 2004 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote IQ9*

Thanks for the info!

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 23 2004 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

Well, most of that is over my head,....lol.... but I subscribe to the school of thought that if the mfg says you need to use 5W30...thats what you should use...If they say use 87 octane...thats what you should use....Why would a mfg suggest using anything other than that which would make their product perform at its best? I would think Nissan's Marketing Dept would salivate at the chance to advertise the Titan's fuel economy as 2-3 mpg higher if they could by simply using a higher octane fuel. .....Besides, by my calculations the 20 cent increase per gallon for 91 vs 87 octane would have to increase your fuel efficiency by 2 MPG just to break even.

Throttle

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 24 2004 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Throttle

I think I agree with you.....it is over your head.   

Seriously, I was talking mainly about performance and with specific regard to Maximas.   In fact, your analysis about how much mpg improvement is needed for cost effectiveness is a good one.  However, folks like me would pay for the better gas just for slightly improved performance.  A fuel cost offset is just icing on the cake.

You mentioned why would not Nissan advertise of this benefit.  Good question.  Dunnno…..they haven’t with Maximas which have had this feature since 95.  I would guess the guys it matters to….someone like me…..are in the know anyway cause they read the C&D or MT article when it came out.  Not all advertising is on CBS. 

With regard to mfrs always recommending the best......well......have you ever heard of 7,500 and 10,000 mile oil change recommendations from mfrs.  I know of a situation where someone completely gummed up a BMW 540 engine at 100k by doing the 10k changes.  By contrast, I have 2 vehicles with nearly 200k miles that are clean as whistle inside.  I do 3k changes.  Why do you think some mfrs would recommend long oil change intervals???  Do you think auto mfrs want vehicles to last forever?? 

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 24 2004 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

It is fun to do whatever we can to squeeze a little better performance from our vehicles, whether its using a different fuel, or brand of oil or even mods. Look at me, I've done a few myself. I admit the main goal I had when adding the K&N filter and even the tonneau cover, was mostly to see if I could get a little better fuel economy. But one has to be realistic about these kinda things....I never expected it to give me 2-3 mpg better milage, nor was I too disappointed when it didnt. If fuel efficiency was my main concern I would have purchased a Prius. If you want to squeeze a few more H/P or more pep in your Maxima...more power to you...just dont expect too many folks on a Titan forum to give a flip...keep on truckin

Throttle

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 24 2004 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Throttle

It is obvious that many buyers do give a "flip", hence the name of this thread.  That is also why Nissan is supplying such a wonderful powerplant for their vehicles.  They are "target marketing" this group.  In fact, that's also why a Maxima fan like myself just went out and bought a new Armada.  The reason for the Maxima post was not to advocate pepping up Maximas on the "trukin" site.  But to dispell the errors of a previous poster who said that engines could not advance timing enough to take advantage of 93, a topic germane to the thread.

With regard to your claims about mpg, there are others out there claiming their mpg improvement is offsetting the cost. I am currently testing this myself in a very controlled fashion.  It would be very easy to get the wrong results if you don't know what your doing.  Driving conditions and habits play a big role in mpg.  One should use the same fuel source (location even), same driver, and on a dozen tanks or more per grade.  One should refuel in same place and top off correctly (not relying on the auto shutoff).  Also, use the trip meter and a calculator, not the computer.  I have found that an accurate study of this issue beyond the interest level of most folks.

On top of that, an engine builder friend of mine says you can tell a big difference in an engine that has run 93 on tear down.  Less deposits at the base of the valve stem and less carbon buildup on the valve face and piston.  For folks like me that may keep it for 200k or 300k, this is a further consideration. 

As you can see, all this can be very complicated.  Someone like myself is interested in these issues and will pursue it a little further than most.  Everyone else will just subscribe to the "school of thought" that fits their biases best.

EvilPeppard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 24 2004 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote EvilPeppard

Throttle:

I am very impressed with the knowledge and feedback you are giving to the group here.  You make some very good points.

I have done some basic fuel economy testing and have posted that information on these boards as well.  I too personally would spend a little more on fuel to gain performance than I would to gain mileage.  If you refer to the manual on this, for my Titan anyway, it states I should use 87 octane...BUT, if I happen to live in a high-elevation state like Colorado (which I do), I can use 85 octane.

I tried the 85.  Maybe it was just my imagination, but I seemed to notice degraded performance, plus I couldn't help wonder what was actually going on in the combustion chamber.  I really feel like the 91 octane gives me extra punch and based on my basic testing of each available octane, I saw a slight increase in mileage with each upgrade in octane.

On a side note, it was mentioned why the manual states 7500 for oil changes?  I too follow the every 3 month/3000 mile rule.  I even did a 500 mile oil change on both my Titan and my wife's 2004 Maxima SE.  I always have.  Back in college when I was taking my Automotive Technolgy vertification (late 80's), I distinctly remember my instructors burning the 3 month/3K mile oil change rule in our minds and stating the reason the manufacturers say 7500 is because you can go 7500 miles IF you drive your car in a "clean room" type environment, which will obviously never happen.  They also stated it was a marketing ploy to have cars still last a while, but not as long as they could if they were maintained at shorter intervals.  That may or may not be true, I just know I like dropping my oil at 3mo/3K aand not skimping on fuel so my expensive engine will last a while.  I can't afford to go buy a new Titan every other year.  I had to save up to get a nice truck like this.

Back to Top View EvilPeppard's Profile Search for other posts by EvilPeppard

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 24 2004 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

Throttle wrote:

..... the Maxima post was not to advocate pepping up Maximas on the "trukin" site.  But to dispell the errors of a previous poster who said that engines could not advance timing enough to take advantage of 93......

..... I am currently testing this myself in a very controlled fashion.  It would be very easy to get the wrong results if you don't know what your doing.  Driving conditions and habits play a big role in mpg.  One should use the same fuel source (location even), same driver, and on a dozen tanks or more per grade.  One should refuel in same place and top off correctly (not relying on the auto shutoff). ...... I have found that an accurate study of this issue beyond the interest level of most folks..... 

As you can see, all this can be very complicated.  Someone like myself is interested in these issues and will pursue it a little further than most.  Everyone else will just subscribe to the "school of thought" that fits their biases best.

Thank you so much for taking the time to come over and educate the ignorant, such as myself, and to point out the "errors of a previous poster". It was so stupid of me to assume that the Nissan Engineers could possibly know what grade of fuel works best in their vehicles. After reading your posts, I now realize I should listen to you instead. Please keep us apprised of your findings once you go thru 24+ tanks of fuel.  Make sure you top off those tankfulls...lol. I look forward to hearing from you in 6 mths or so.....keep on truckin

Throttle

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 26 2004 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Throttle

Puffman, I'm not sure anyone on this board is as ignorant as you.....lol.   

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version