Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Has anyone tried to pull the headlights? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maxhawk

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 14 2004 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

Since my car has HID's, I decided I wanted to try to improve the lighting on the Titan.  I bought some Hella Optilux bulbs to replace the low and high beams.  After inspecting under the hood, it was obvious that the whole headlight housing has to come out to access the bulbs.

So I flip through the manual and it says that the headlamp must be removed (figured that part out on my own) and to take it to a Nissan dealer to replace the bulbs.  What!?  Pay the dealer to replace bulbs?  Riiiight.

I found two screws that hold the housing on, one on top, and one underneath (gotta lay on your back to get to it).  There are these two plastic clips that attach it to the grille, but I can't seem to get it to let go.  I don't want to force it anymore and risk snapping the plastic pieces.

Can someone else take a peek and see if I'm missing something obvious?  Anyone else tried to replace bulbs yet?

TIA.

Back to Top View Maxhawk's Profile Search for other posts by Maxhawk

RI Xterra
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote RI Xterra

If it's anything like the Xterra's headlights then you have to remove the screws and pull it out with a good tug....
Back to Top View RI Xterra's Profile Search for other posts by RI Xterra Visit RI Xterra's Homepage

Howie Kaluha

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Howie Kaluha

Maxhawk wrote:

Since my car has HID's, I decided I wanted to try to improve the lighting on the Titan.  I bought some Hella Optilux bulbs to replace the low and high beams.  After inspecting under the hood, it was obvious that the whole headlight housing has to come out to access the bulbs.

So I flip through the manual and it says that the headlamp must be removed (figured that part out on my own) and to take it to a Nissan dealer to replace the bulbs.  What!?  Pay the dealer to replace bulbs?  Riiiight.

I found two screws that hold the housing on, one on top, and one underneath (gotta lay on your back to get to it).  There are these two plastic clips that attach it to the grille, but I can't seem to get it to let go.  I don't want to force it anymore and risk snapping the plastic pieces.

Can someone else take a peek and see if I'm missing something obvious?  Anyone else tried to replace bulbs yet?

TIA.

I ordered some hyperwhite bulb replacements from 4WheelParts yesterday. The guy did show me how the removing of the assembly/installation would be kinda tricky. Next Friday I'll be bringing up my Titan to have them (both high and low beam) installed, as well as a billet grille from mrgrille.com. The blue-white high density light should look wicked, and I can't wait to see it.

Back to Top View Howie Kaluha's Profile Search for other posts by Howie Kaluha

Maxhawk

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

RI Xterra wrote:
If it's anything like the Xterra's headlights then you have to remove the screws and pull it out with a good tug....

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try again today during the daytime.  I was out there at night trying to do it with a flashlight.

RI Xterra
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote RI Xterra

Yeah give that a shot.But make sure when you pull on it you try to pull it straight out to help prevent breaking any of the clips...
Back to Top View RI Xterra's Profile Search for other posts by RI Xterra Visit RI Xterra's Homepage

Maxhawk

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

RI Xterra wrote:
Yeah give that a shot.But make sure when you pull on it you try to pull it straight out to help prevent breaking any of the clips...

Well, I got them replaced.  Turns out the front grille needs to come off to access a screw which holds the housing.

Also there are 2 pegs on the housing that mates to the front grille:

If there's enough interest, I'll generate a how-to tech article and publish it somewhere on the web.  I'll report back later on how they perform.... it's still light out :).

RI Xterra
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 16 2004 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote RI Xterra

Nice...

Maxhawk

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 16 2004 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maxhawk

My initial impressions are that the new low-beam bulbs are noticeably brighter and whiter than before.  They're brighter because they're 55W bulbs versus the stock 51W, and whiter because they have a very light purple coating. 

For the high-beams I got 100W bulbs, but they're coated blue, and have a noticeable blue cast to the light.  I really haven't been on a dark deserted road yet to determine if they're an improvement.  I'll live with it for a while but might end up changing to a "standard" 100W bulb if the blue gets annoying (looks cool though when looking at the front of the truck).

Cronus
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 05 2004 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cronus

I'm surprised you want to make them brighter, I'm getting oncoming traffic flashing me their brights all the time. They think mine are on. I sometimes flash mine back to show them what a Titan's High Beams look like!

My Titan @ SLLAR.com
Back to Top View Cronus's Profile Search for other posts by Cronus Visit Cronus's Homepage

TNTITAN

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: May 06 2004 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote TNTITAN

I agree with Cronus, the Titans headlights are really bright. The blue coated bulbs are a bunch of BS. They put out blue light at the expense of brightness. The light purple tinted ones are much better. IMHO, either get Sylvania Silverstars or dont bother with the upgrade.
Back to Top View TNTITAN's Profile Search for other posts by TNTITAN

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version