Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Titan Modifications (Performance & Looks)
 Nissan Titan Forums : Titan Modifications (Performance & Looks)
Subject Topic: 2004 tailgate assist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
whippets

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 01 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote whippets

I have a 2004 Le Crew Cab and want to put the tailgate assist that the 2005 has on it. Has anyone done this? I know it is just a shock that goes behind the right taillight. I just want to know if it can be done?? I use that bed a lot and the tailgate weighs a ton. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Back to Top View whippets's Profile Search for other posts by whippets

shogun_316

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 06 2005 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote shogun_316

I've been wondering the same thing.  Post back if you do it and tell us how it went.  I can't imagine it being to hard to install.  Maybe I'll ask the service dept when I'm in there getting my brakes fixed.
Back to Top View shogun_316's Profile Search for other posts by shogun_316

IQ9*

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote IQ9*

I belive that Performance Nissan has a retro fit kit already setup for purchase.

ominx

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote ominx

I'm not sure how good this is, but I found a cheap assist kit here that says it'll work with a 04+ titan. http://trucktoys4less.com/tailgate-easylift-assist.html
Back to Top View ominx's Profile Search for other posts by ominx

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 24 2005 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

[QUOTE=ominx]I'm not sure how good this is, but I found a cheap assist kit here that says it'll work with a 04+ titan. http://trucktoys4less.com/tailgate-easylift-assist.html[/QUO TE]

Anyone tried this yet?...I'm curious how well it works

SAWEET
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote SAWEET

The dealership doesn't know crap about this mod!  I had to do all the research myself.  The dealership did let me take apart a 05 model to see how it works.  I ordered all the parts (I think) that I need and will start the install this weekend if my parts come in.  It is not going to be easy bolt on application.  It will take some cutting and drilling of the body to make it fit.  I will document my progress for all to see.  I know it would have gone easier if I could have seen it done here first.

I'll let everyone (who cares) to see it how it's done as soon I finish.

8" CST Lift 37" BFG's & Robbie Gordon Wheels, JBA 3" Cat Back Exhaust System
Back to Top View SAWEET's Profile Search for other posts by SAWEET Visit SAWEET's Homepage

SAWEET
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 27 2005 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote SAWEET

Well,

It's done!  It was not easy, and not for the squeemish.  You have to do more cutting and drilling than I expected.  The body behind the taillight on the 04 is completely different than the 05.  It took about six hours and around $100 dollars.  Large pieces of metal had to be removed to make way for the shock and hindge mechanism.  The good thing is that all the cutting and grinding takes place behind the taillight assembly so you can't see the hack job!  Also not all the parts are available from the dealership.  The nipple that the top of the shock connects to is not available because it is part of the body on the 05' and cannot be purchased seperately.  I was able to find one at Napa.  The size of the hole that needs to be made to allow the hindge to be bolted on is HUGE!  Maybe 2" across.  So unless you have acess to a plasma cutter or an air grinder good luck making that hole!

The bottom line is I wouldn't recommend it unless you have acess to lots of tools and fabrication skills. None of the old parts are used except for the bolts and even one of those had to cut shorter.  I have to say it does work perfect though. 

It is SAWEET!!

8" CST Lift 37" BFG's & Robbie Gordon Wheels, JBA 3" Cat Back Exhaust System
Back to Top View SAWEET's Profile Search for other posts by SAWEET Visit SAWEET's Homepage

WheelinJeeper
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 3:08am | IP Logged Quote WheelinJeeper

any pics?
Back to Top View WheelinJeeper's Profile Search for other posts by WheelinJeeper

kcidmil
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote kcidmil

For those who would be wondering about the tailgate easy lift on that link... spring steel is some REALLY strong stuff.  There is no doubt in my mind that it will make lifting a tailgate easier. 

Spring steel naturally wants to stay in it's formed shape.  They had to make it so thin so it would bend, allowing the tailgate to come down, but the second you start to lift, it'll pull back to it's original shape. 

This would be a easier and more cost effective assembly.  And not to sound like a infomercial, I had my doubts when I saw how small the thing was.  But when I noticed they used spring steel, it all clicked in my head.

WheelinJeeper
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Nov 12 2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote WheelinJeeper

do you have a link to there site
Back to Top View WheelinJeeper's Profile Search for other posts by WheelinJeeper

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version