Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Shake n shake? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd TCE

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 18 2004 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Todd TCE

Ok, been about 1300m and I've informed the dealer twice to check rear tire balance on the SE. They did so and can find nothing. Took it back in today and let THEM drive it and see if they feel the same shake I do.

Took a few minutes to replicate it of course but we did. Both service and tech drove it.

Symptom; at about 47mph you get a 'jiggle fest' happening in the cab that feels like a bad rear tire. Not balance but rather a blister or bubble. Glance at the mirror and watch the bed shake to the beat.

We took out another off the lot and it does the same thing! I have no clue and thought it a bad tire, but now we're stumped.

Am I the only one or do others have this??

NewFan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote NewFan

I know what you're talking about.  I test drove a different Titan that was identical to the one that I bought except for color.  I noticed it was pretty shaky and even mentioned it to the salesman but didmissed it thinking it was just a bad road.  Now you have me wondering but luckily the truck I ended up buying hasn't given me any problems yet as I have a little over 2000 miles on it.
Back to Top View NewFan's Profile Search for other posts by NewFan

Todd TCE

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 20 2004 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd TCE

Not the road. I took it to the most recent  re surfaced one near the dealer.

Take it up to 50, slowly back off to about 47 at steady throttle. Whopa-whopa-whopa-whopa, and your left leg shakes as you dance. Glance in the mirror and look at the bad sake in time to it.

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 24 2004 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote tda3

I'm glad someone else has noticed this.  I'm willing to bet this is more prevalent than we know because it's often passed off as a bumpy road issue or some such.  My shake is at 50 mph and I suspect that it's some kinda harmonic vibration within the drive train.  Possibly due to the split drive shaft.

What really bums me about this is that my previous truck (a Chevy S-10 extended cab) had a similiar rear end shake problem that I chased for almost 2 years.  Did everything from new tires to multiple balancing to rebuilding/rebalancing the drive shafts to replacing the entire rear end.  The shake, or lack thereof, got better but never really went away.

I realize that I might be one of those folks that are very sensitive to vibrations or imbalances, but a vibration is a rotating mechanical device's way of telling you something's wrong.  And in the worst case, vibrational fatigue can lead to part failure.

I sure hope Titan Engineer or other Nissan folks are listening.   

Tom

thepuffman

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 24 2004 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote thepuffman

I havent noticed this problem in my Titan nor did I test drive any that did, but my neighbor test drove a 4x2 with the offroad pkg, and he said it liked to beat him to death..luckily he test drove one w/o the O.R. pkg and it drove much better, as does mine. Are any of yours Off Road?

Todd TCE

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 24 2004 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Todd TCE

I'm 2WD.
I promise you it's not the road. And I'm willing to bet it's on most of the trucks. We grabbed a new one right off the lot with the same problem.]

If you are NOT experiencing this, try this test:

Fiind nice smooth road, take it up to about 52, then back off the pedal a bit and run even throttle down that road without accelerating or slowing....watch your left leg and feel your butt wiggle in the seat. Glance out the window at the rear of the truck and the bed. It shakes in time.

Damn truck's got the shivers!

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 25 2004 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote tda3

Well guys....I took my Titan in this morning for it's first service visit.  I've got around 10K miles and most of the items were nit-picky squeaks & rattles things.  However, my two biggest complaints were the shake issue and a gear whine noise.  Fortunately for me, the service writer (nice looking female I might add) owns a Titan just like mine so she was very familiar with all of my issues since her truck exhibits some of the same problems.  WHEW!  It's a comfort knowing I won't have to argue some of my complaints.  Anyhow.....

She told me that they had seen two other Titans, plus hers, that had this shake thing and had cured all three by eliminating the out of round tires with new tires.  That was good news.

Now the bad.  When we talked about the gear whine, she said hers had the same noise and it started shortly after they'd towed their ski boat.  She said she's got a new rear end on order for hers and she suspects they'll be ordering one for mine.

I have complete faith in both my dealer and Nissan that this will be made right for up until now, neither of them have given me any reason to think otherwise.  However, as a Mecahnical Engineer it just pisses me off to think that somebody, somewhere, didn't do their freakin' homework.   And if the culprit is Dana Corp., they ought to have their ass handed to them for they've been making gears & rear ends for everything from cars to heavy machinery to top fuel dragsters for years now.

Oh well - enough bitchin'.  I still love the truck.  You guys have a nice day.

Tom 

Todd TCE

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 25 2004 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Todd TCE

If you don't mind, can you shoot me an email of the dealer you worked with? The service writier really as I'd like to have her info on hand when I go back in for my next trip.

toddandchris1@cox.net

jfivejay5

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 05 2004 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote jfivejay5

I had a similar shake at the same speed but it did not seem as violent as descibed above.  I could see the bed shaking and my passenger seat wobble a bit.  Once I added a pace edwards roll top cover, the problem stopped.  Maybe it is just wind for my problem.  I tried rolling up the cover and driving with the tailgate down.  The problem was gone as well.  Drove home with the tailgate up, started wobbling again.  Does not seem to be the same problem as others, but maybe you could try dropping the tailgate just to see if it helps locate the problem.

SE King Cab/ O.R./ 4WD

Back to Top View jfivejay5's Profile Search for other posts by jfivejay5

IQ9*

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Sep 13 2004 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote IQ9*

I felt the vibration/banging when my wife and I test drove an Armada. That crappy test drive is what made her sure the Titan was the way to go. I am kinda glad it had and out of round tire

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version